Several years ago, DJs relied heavily on vinyl records to wow the crowd. While these days you may still get your hands on vinyl records and weave your magic on them to make your mark on the music scene, using a DJ software package or app is something that most DJs nowadays prefer. It’s simpler and more practical, plus it enables you to do a lot more things than when utilizing a traditional mixing deck and a bunch of vinyl records.
Confused as to which DJ software you should give a try and ultimately add as an integral part of your DJing life? Then keep on reading — here are some of the best DJ software options on the market that you may consider using.
Propellerhead Reason 10
- 2 new powerful synthesizers & 3 new instruments
- Full VST plugin support
- 3G of cutting edge loops & samples
We can think of several reasons why the Propellerhead Reason 10 software is what you need. For one, it’s versatile enough to be used by professional DJs and newbies, too. Using the product is also recommended for anyone who would like to compose music from scratch, thanks to the plethora of instruments and effects available. And did we mention that drum samples and loops around amount to more than 3 GB? If absolute creative freedom is what you are looking for, then look no further than the Propellerhead Reason 10 software.
- Grain tool is fun and exciting
- Bundled with lots and lots of instruments
- Easy to use
- Absence of surround sound feature
- Not a big leap from the 9.5 version of the software
- Costs more than Propellerhead Reason 9.5
PreSonus Studio One 3
- Elegant single-window work environment with powerful drag-and-drop functionality, multi-touch support, and unlimited audio tracks, Instrument tracks, virtual instruments, buses, and FX channels
- NEW Arranger Track with innovative Scratch Pads
- NEW Presence XT sampler and Mai Tai polyphonic, analog modeling synth; includes 36 64-bit Native Effects, 5 virtual instruments, and 4 Note FX in all
One of the nicest things about the PreSonus Studio One 3 software is that it won’t intimidate beginners. Once you have familiarized yourself with the interface, you will find it trouble-free to use this DJ software especially because you simply have to drag and drop elements for the most part. Various instruments and effects will surely let you use your imagination and creativity to the max. We love that the PreSonus Studio One 3 software is reasonably priced. And if you’re not yet ready to shell out some cash, worry not as the free version is impressive enough as it is.
- Getting started is quick and easy
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Free version is enough for most consumers
- Interface is on the cluttered side
- Saving templates or importing sessions is tricky
- Unimpressive MIDI editing
Ableton Live 10
- Multitrack audio recording and MIDI sequencing of software and hardware instruments
- Unique session View for nonlinear composition, flexible performance and improvisation
- Real-time warping of audio: automatically sync music and loops, regardless of tempo
If you have used an Ableton Live 10 software package before, you’ll be happy to know that this time around there is a MIDI capture feature. What’s more, there are a total of 7 MIDI effects available which you can utilize in order to produce one-of-a-kind musical compositions. Speaking of effects, the Ableton Live 10 software also includes 19 audio effects that range anywhere from stutter, lo-fi to delay. What’s really great about the product is that it’s capable of having additional audio unit plug-ins or options, allowing it to easily grow with you.
- MIDI capture is a welcome addition
- Design and workflow considerably improved from earlier versions
- Lots of instruments available on the suite version
- Has a steep price tag
- Some consumers feel that the interface seems incomplete
- Pitch correction tool is absent
Mix Vibes CROSS DJ Pack
- Compatible with various MIDI controllers
- Allows for smart audio effects, locators and cue points, and automatic looping abd beat matching
- Direct integration with iTunes
There are more than 80 DJ controllers that may be used with the Mix Vibes CROSS DJ Pack software, which only means that you can have it customized to suit your DJing skills and needs. You will definitely love the fact that it lets you access industry-standard tools, ranging from filters to loops. If this is your first time to use a DJ software package, we highly recommend you to give this one a try. By and large, it packs just about everything you need to go from a newbie DJ to one that is capable of getting lots of trust and respect.
- Trouble-free to use and dependable
- Works with various operating systems — PC, Mac, Android and iOS
- Compatible with a lot of DJ controllers
- Limited features
- Experienced DJs may find the software too simple
- Interface looks a little cluttered
Image Line FL Studio 20
- Powerful mixing and automation
- The best Piano Roll in the business
- Flexible Browser and workflow features
Having not enough instruments and effects to use should be the least of your concerns when you decide to purchase the Image Line FL Studio 20 software package. That’s because there are lots and lots of those available! One of the best things about this product is that it features a DJ mixer software recording as well as editing functions that make it possible for you to polish your masterpieces without much trouble. And by the way, unlike older versions of the software, this one wholeheartedly welcomes all VST plug-ins.
- Most knobs and sliders can be automated
- Provides sufficient amounts of freedom
- A single license unlocks the software on any PC or Mac
- Tricky multi-track recording
- Certain basic editing tools missing
- Some consumers feel that the interface is cluttered
Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 10
- Easy and powerful audio editing
- Record high-resolution audio on your PC
- Digitize and restore records and tapes
Especially if you just stepped foot into the world of DJ software use, the Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 won’t leave you feeling intimidated — its user interface is really friendly! Needless to say, the product allows you to come up with some of your very first creations without suffering from a throbbing headache. You will surely be glad that you invested your money in this reasonably priced software because it provides tons of instruments and effects. With the Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 software package, being a newbie DJ need not be challenging.
- Integrated CD production feature
- Massive library of audio effects
- Devoid of multi-channel support
- A lot more expensive than the previous version of the software
- Some of the effects aren’t flexible enough
Image Line FL Studio 12
- Fully reworked scalable interface to fit any screen size or resolution Multi-touch capability extends to the Mixer New category Browser tabs and the ability to delete content on right-click Channel Options Menu has moved from the Toolbar Menus to the Channel rack Channel settings have been integrated into the Plugin Pattern Menu moved from the Channel rack to the Toolbar Menu and Pattern Selector Piano roll Auto-zoom can now be deselected Multiple drag and drop for audio fil
- FL Studio is a complete software music production environment and DAW representing more than 14 years of innovative developments
- Everything you need in one package to compose, arrange, record, edit, mix and master professional quality music
Getting started with the Image Line FL Studio 12 software package is really easy. For one, it grants you access to over 80 instruments and effects, too. Then there’s an assortment of suite features that makes it possible for you to go straight to composing your audio masterpieces. We can’t help but rave about the fact that there are impressive MIDI composition tools present in the Image Line FL Studio 12 software package. And by the way, the interface is not only user-friendly but also attractive courtesy of its cool animations.
- Attractive interface
- Praiseworthy MIDI composition tools
- Updates are free for a lifetime
- Audio recording not that versatile
- Outdated sound library
- Assigning instrument tracks to mixer channels is manual only
Propellerhead Reason 9.5
- Unlimited MIDI and audio tracks
- Tons of instruments and effects
- Professional large format mixing console
The interface of the Propellerhead Reason 9.5 is quite simple so it won’t leave you with a panic attack especially if you have never tried any DJ software before. You may consider this product as a one-stop shop because practically everything you will need to remix, write and produce is available for you to utilize. Perhaps the biggest claim to fame of the developer of the Propellerhead Reason 9.5 software package is that the sounds are realistic and amazing as they’re developed by some of today’s most revered DJs.
- Every instrument and channel has a mixing console
- Impressive array of instruments and effects
- Browser for finding effects, loops, etc.
- Hard to use for beginners
- No support for MIDI keyboard
- Absence of surround sound feature
Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Duo
- Differentiate between kicks, hi-hats and snares and anticipate your mix
- Set up more accurate cue points and Beat Grids for even tighter mixes
- Track stripe clearly displays the track's arrangement for better mix anticipation
If you want a no-frills DJ software package, the kind that offers all kinds of things that you probably won’t use in this lifetime, then consider getting your hands on Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Duo. One look at the interface is all that it takes for you to realize that the two of you can be best buds. The product provides just about what a decent DJ is looking for in a program. We love the fact that the Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Duo software package comes with a collection of scratches that can make any track a total standout.
- Cool library of scratch sounds
- Loops can be grabbed from any playing track
- User-friendly interface
- Lacking some of the features present in other DJ software
- Effects library not that impressive
- Support for 2 decks only
MAGIX Music Maker 2019
- Music Maker Premium Edition: the music program that gives you more sounds, more instruments and more features
- Easy, loop-based music production. With simple, modular song composition
- Custom audio software: Sound pools, instruments and features worth a total of $699
Some DJ software packages out there are really tricky to use. But then there are also those that make a DJ’s everyday living so much easier because of their simplified interface and drag-and-drop feature — and MAGIX Music Maker 2019 is one of those. Needless to say, it’s a wonderful idea for you to go for this if you just entered the world of DJing. It boasts of a customized DJ Mixer program that allows you to be as creative as you want and come up with works of art with superb sound quality. Whether you’re a newbie or you just want things to be simple, this is what you need.
- Drag-and-drop feature makes everything less complicated
- Free version offers a decent amount of loops
- VST2 and VST3 interface
- No restoration tools available
- Instruments and effects are kind of limited
- Compatible with PC only
Virtual DJ Pro
Whether you want to produce music or create music videos, or both, then consider using Virtual DJ Pro. That’s because this particular DJ software package makes it possible for you to whip up tracks and integrate it into your videos, too! Due to the presence of a tool for making integration of loops and samples seamless, you can come up with professional sounding and looking creations. Not happy with the previous version of Virtual DJ Pro in terms of video effects? Well, the developer has included additional video effects that you can use to your heart’s content.
- Various add-ons are available
- Customizable user interface by means of skins
- Great for making music videos
- Beginners may have a hard time mastering the controls
- Some of the features are not easily accessible
- Audio effects library isn’t that impressive
There are two things about the PCDJ DEX that you will notice right away: it carries a reasonable price tag and it comes with generous amounts of features. So in other words, this software package serves as a proof that you don’t have to spend a huge sum of cash just to get a lot of essentials. Especially if you love creating tracks and videos, too, we guarantee that the PCDJ DEX will pique your interest. Give it a try and see for yourself that even something that doesn’t cost a lot is just as capable of impressing as more expensive options on the market.
- Has support for karaoke files
- Compatible with both PC and Mac
- Numerous video effects and transitions available
- Some important DJing features missing
- Beginners may be intimidated by it
- Cluttered interface
MAGIX Music Maker 2017 Live
- Live Pad mode: Play Music Maker just like an instrument
- Modular design system: Choose from 8 Soundpools, 9 virtual instruments as well as 6,000 sounds & loops in 7 variations
- Record instruments, vocals and raps
There’s really no need to step foot outside your home just to get everyone introduced to your sleek DJing skills. That’s because there’s MAGIX Music Maker 2017 Live available that makes it possible for you to broadcast your beats real-time! Making the software package really exciting for a DJ like you to use is the presence of a live pad mode that enables you to impress in the moment. There are numerous instruments, sound effects, drums and loops around, plus there’s an assortment of plug-ins available so that you can be the DJ of your wildest dreams.
- Genres of loops available are remarkable
- Software package may be downloaded again at no cost
- MIDI keyboard available
- Available instruments and effects are limited
- Some restoration tools present in similar DJ software are nowhere to be found
- Mac users won’t be able to use it
Virtual DJ Broadcaster
- Deck Capabilities: Use your 99 deck capacity and load it with everything from A-Z
- Tempo and Pitch: Adjust the tempo and pitch easily and then create something unique with your favorite tunes
- Instant BPM Detection: Find out the Beats Per Minute on any song instantly, even if you change the tempo
If the web is your venue and everyone who is hooked up to it is your audience, then you should definitely install the Virtual DJ Broadcaster software package in your PC. Just like what the name says, it’s something that enables you to have your music as well as videos broadcasted over the internet. What’s more, the software enables real-time mixing and recording. Thanks to Virtual DJ Broadcaster’s tempo and pitch tool, you’re not going to have a hard time coming up with unique tracks simply by tweaking some of your tracks’ parameters.
- Impressive video and audio processing
- Skinning is possible
- Real-time recording and broadcasting
- Not compatible with Mac
- Some consumers say the interface is not user-friendly
- You may not find some of the tools you need
T-RACKS 3 Deluxe
There is something about the interface of T-RACKS 3 Deluxe that makes this DJ software simple and complex at the same time. That’s actually great news for someone who would like to make an impact without encountering a headache. It may not be the most reasonably priced program on the current market, but at least it grants you access to 12 tools, and also a host of loops, samples, drums and effects. One of the best things about T-RACKS 3 Deluxe is that you can use it as a plug-in to your favorite setup or utilize it as a standalone tool.
- Capable of producing high-quality audio
- Trouble-free comparison of tracks
- Cool-looking interface gives a touch of analog vibe
- Eats up lots of precious CPU power
- No dedicated stereo imaging module available
- Interface has a few shortcomings
Just Before You Shop
It’s crucial for you to pick the right DJ software package if your goal is to become a respected and prolific DJ. These days, you can choose from a wide variety of options, each one of them giving you a number of possibilities. Take your time when deciding which software to go for and you’re golden!