Our Thoughts on the Sony MDR7506
Are you thinking about getting the Sony MDR7506 anytime from now? Then see to it that you read this quick review of it. Below we will discuss just about everything that you need to know about the product, from its key features to the customer’s thoughts about it, thus making you an informed shopper.
We all know that Sony is one of the leading manufacturers of premier audio equipment worldwide. That is why it doesn’t really come as a shock why its MDR7506 is revered by many. Here are some of the top features of this pair of professional headphones:
- Massive drivers. The drivers found on the Sony MDR7506 measure 40 mm. Because of their size, you can expect to enjoy louder music without the need to crank up the volume of the audio source to 100%. The presence of neodymium magnets helps increase power and detail at the same time.
- Lengthy cord. One of the nicest things about the MDR7506 by Sony is that it has a really long cord that measures 9.8 feet! Worry not that the cord might twist around you because of its sheer length as it’s coiled. However, do take note that unlike the cords of some models of headphones these days, the one that comes with the unit isn’t detachable.
- Closed-ear design. There are a couple of perks that the closed-ear design of the Sony MDR7506 brings. First, it allows for deeper and punchier bass without the addition of any innovative technology. Second, a closed-ear design helps reduce external noise — no need for an active noise canceling feature that requires batteries and also causes the headphones to become heavier and more expensive.
What We Like
There are many things about the MDR7506 that we love. For one, it brandishes the name of a respected manufacturer. Here are some other things that we like about the product:
- Foldable design. Not a lot of bulky headphones are easy to bring with you everywhere you go mainly because they do not fold up. Well, the Sony MDR7506 is different as it’s collapsible so that you may easily stash it in your bag. And by the way, the product ships with its own carrying case.
- Comfortable to wear. At first look, the larger-than-average size of the MDR7506 makes it seem like it can make your ears and head hurt. However, when we gave the product a test drive for several minutes straight we were surprised that it’s actually comfortable to wear! Needless to say, this Sony offering can serve as your companion for those long hours of music creation or listening.
- Professional audio quality. The reason why the Sony MDR7506 is regarded as a professional pair of headphones is that it produces superb sound quality that experts in the world of music require. The combination of massive drivers and wide frequency response ranging from 10 Hz to 20 kHz help make that happen.
Who is This Product Best Suited To
The Sony MDR7506 is definitely for those who would like to enjoy their records, CDs and digital audio files the way they’re supposed to be enjoyed: loud, clear and detailed. The product is also ideal for those who would like to flood their eardrums with a decent amount of bass — the closed-ear design makes that possible.
Professionals are also the target audience of the product, although the lack of swiveling ear cups may cause DJs to steer clear of it. Because the MDR7506 by Sony is foldable, it’s great for those who rely on music to get rid of boredom or listen to podcasts to be more productive while traveling.
What Customers are Saying
A lot of those who purchased the Sony MDR7506 are pleased with the sound quality. They confirm that there’s no need for them to turn the volume of their turntables, CD players, MP3 players, laptops and smartphones to the highest possible levels just to enjoy loudness and clarity. However, some consumers are disappointed that the lengthy cord of the MDR7506 isn’t detachable and replaceable, which could render the headphones useless should it get damaged.
The Bottom Line
Because of the large 40 mm drivers, neodymium magnets and the design of the ear cups themselves, the Sony MDR7506 is capable of impressing with its audio reproduction.